Triphala is a traditional Ayurvedic formulation of three different plum-like fruits: Amalaki, Bibhitaki, and Haritaki.
- Amalaki: Has a cooling effect that manages pitta, supporting the natural functions of the liver and the immune system.
- Bibhitaki: Is particularly good for Kapha, supporting the respiratory system as well as Kapha accumulations in all systems.
- Haritaki: Though having a heating nature, it is still good for all three doshas (Vata, pitta, and Kapha). It is known for its “scraping” effect, which removes toxins and helps maintain healthy levels of weight.
Benefits of Triphala:
- Triphala is a natural laxative and helps to cleanse the colon. Amla is useful for intestinal repair, Haritaki strengthens the intestinal muscles to contract more efficiently and Bibhitaki pulls the old mucus off the wall.
- The gallic acid in Triphala has been known to have promising anticancer activity, specifically when it comes to prostate cancer cells.
- In conditions of excess weight, Triphala can be used as part of a weight loss program that includes a healthy diet and exercise. Triphala has antioxidant, free radical scavenging and anti-hyperlipidemia abilities, which all have a positive effect on metabolic health and discourage obesity.
- Triphala can reduce cholesterol levels and arterial plaque. Bibhitaki has also been shown by researchers to inhibit atherosclerosis plaque progression.
- Triphala has high antioxidant and polyphenol content make it excellent anti-inflammatory which helps combat arthritis especially rheumatoid arthritis by reducing
bone and cartilage breakdown.